Jeff's political rants
A few of the essays here are the result of careful thought. Most,
however, were ideas that I've always been planning on clarifying,
updating, and elaborating on. Many are trite and trivial. If you find
anything useful here, that's great. If you're bored to tears, well don't
say I didn't warn you.
As of June 2007, I have started a blog,
JPG Rants, at
If I actually find that I continue with that, I will seek a way to consolidate what is here on goldmark.org with what is there.
- Preaching Prevention and Family Values
- How conservative Christians fail to recognize that their own preaching against
pre-marital sex is contributing to a very real problem of family breakdown.
Instead they should focus their energy on preaching against pre-marital pregnancy.
This is my first blog posting at
- In defense of the electoral college
- Before you write me off as a lunatic, please read enough of the
essay to understand which aspects of the EC I'm defending. This also
describes the kind of voting reform (Condorcet) that I do advocate.
- A tale of two principles
- The 2000 Presidential elections and how we adopt noble principles
based on self-interest
- Why the Left should support school
- When I originally wrote that, I wasn't aware of others making the
same argument. Since then, the point has sprung up many times and in
- Why I am not a Libertarian
- I have a great deal of sympathy for Libertarians. But ultimately
I don't count myself among them. This essay sketches some of the
- I started with the is Zionism nationalism (to which I answer yes),
and intended to work into a longer essay on nationalism. But that was
on September 9, 2001. I sort of got caught up in other issues after
- September 11, 2001
- Comments made in the weeks after the attacks, but before the
invasion of Afghanistan. In retrospect, some of my comments were
right on target, others were later proved wrong. The beginning is a
bit trite, but some of the issues discussed deeper in it are still
worth reading I think
- Comments on an attempt to boycott the
movie Enigma for anti-Polish bias.
- Hardly any big points here, but I've also published some of the
very thoughtful responses I've had to this.
Version: $Revision: 1.4 $
Last Modified: $Date: 2007/06/14 13:59:16 $
First Established: 2005/07/28