Re: Blood donations in Canada

On Sep 11, 2001 Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote
   in <ylelpdkyjq.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu>:

On 11 Sep 2001, Russ Allbery wrote:

> > Don't you remember the head of the US Red Cross a few days ago
> > saying she'd go out of her way to avoid UK blood?
>
> Given that US blood banks are currently refusing blood from people who
> have been in the UK for extended stays in the past X years, I believe
> you're probably correct.

Exactly.  I haven't checked whether the US Red Cross is waiving that rule
at the moment, but I (having lived in the UK for 6 years) have to explain
to people why I haven't given blood.

The rule has had some small impact on the US blood supply, but Canada did
the same thing, and there it has had a significant impact.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
 I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html