Re: No Rules

On Sep 13, 2001 Paul Harper <paul@harper.netNOSPAM> wrote
   in <r2q0qtc6qknppe1ki443q011713lnvk1nv@4ax.com>:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:09:32 -0700, Jeffrey Goldberg
> <{$news}$@goldmark.org> wrote:
>
> >But we cannot rule out any action merely because killing innocents might
> >be a consequence.
>
> That's a very chilling sentence.

You are right.  It is.  I know that.  But that doesn't make it less true.

Consider the alternative:

 Any regime willing to use "human shields"
 can do what ever it wants with no fear of military action against it.

 Any regime which commands terrority with a civilian population need not
 fear war against that territory.

I fully agree that strong efforts must be made by civilised countries to
avoid civilian causualties.  But "strong efforts" do not include avoiding
war altogether.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg