Re: No Rules

On Sep 13, 2001 nick@somewhere.invalid wrote
   in <qf3rn9.vv.zz@somewhere.invalid>:

> >>But we cannot rule out any action merely because killing innocents might
> >>be a consequence.
> >
> > That's a very chilling sentence.
>
> Someone took exactly that attitude on Tuesday.

Please read all my posts in that thread.  That sentence is being taken out
of context and some of the wording was an error.  As that sentence stands
-- out of context -- it does not reflect my views.

Killing civilians is a terrible thing.  And civilians should never be
targetted.  And military action must take strong measures to avoid
civilian deaths and injuries.

But that does not mean that we should refrain from any action which might
kill civilians.  Otherwise, any regime willing to use its civilians as
"human shields" can act without fear of military actions against it.

Please go back and read more of what I have written.  I am not the person
that that one sentence would paint me as.  I have stated many times in the
past few days that if we "become like them" then we have lost.

I would never advocate a disregard for life, particularly the lives of
civilians.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg